#ACupOfConversation // Writer & Editor Leah Lakins



"Never be afraid to gamble on you. Never be afraid to choose you…"




Leah is not just a writer and editor. In her own words, she's a card carrying member of the 'wordy, nerdy, quirky kids club' who made good on her dreams of working with words for a living. And with a resume that includes multiple books in the Steve Harvey franchise as well as tons of educational materials, Leah has likely sent inspiration your way without you even knowing. Read on to check out what keeps her up at night and what she can't live without. 


Name: Leah Lakins
Hometown: Baltimore, MD
Current Location: Brooklyn, NY 
What she really does: E.I.C. (Empowerment, Inspiration and Creativity)
Years in the Game: 15

How do you start your day? 
I watch Super Soul Sunday or Masterclass. Watching other spiritual masters do what they do inspires me.   

How did you get into writing? 
Susan Taylor, the former Editor of Essence magazine, did a talk at my college. During that talk, she inspired me and since then, I've known that this is what I wanted to do. I'm the spawn of Susan Taylor.

What do you want folks to know about you?
That I have faith in God and the gifts he's given me. That you should have faith in God and faith in yourself. 

What keeps you up at night?
Thinking. Whenever I get a new project, I spend the first few days being surprised that I got it. 

Making my parents proud keeps me up. Writing my damn book keeps me up. Dealing with my fears. Can I do it? Will I do it? Will they like it? And then self soothing. Dealing with me. You are literally putting yourself up against YOU every day. 

I can't live without…. God. That's who I rely on.


Check out more from Leah's portfolio of work here

When are you most productive?
This job is solitary. I get work done at home and then I go out to coffee shops to interact. 

What do you think is the biggest misconception about freelancing? 
That you just do what you want to do. You have to schedule your time. It takes way more effort to schedule your time. I'm not sitting and whistlin' dixie. I've got shit to do. 

What are you most proud of to date?
I'm proud of moving to New York, starting and successfully maintaining my company, the gift to empower others and having faith in ME! 


What's one thing you wish you knew before taking the plunge?
I wish I knew my worth. I discovered it when I came to New York. Your skills are valuable. I wish I understood that there is worth in what I do. If I'm not in the room, what I bring to the table is missing. 

What's next? 
Training the next generation of content creators. Plus sized consignment. Creating a space & platform where curvy women feel beautiful and sexy.




What advice would you give young Leah?
Get up off the floor because the good stuff is about to come. Your work is not in vain.

Last words
Never be afraid to gamble on you. Never be afraid to choose you. Choose what makes you happy. Choose what brings you joy. 

Keep in touch with Leah!

Instagram @Lakins9 
Web FreshEyesEditorial.com  
Facebook Leah Lakins   

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Coffee Shops And Laptops. Design by Fearne.