// There is NOTHING Wrong With A 9-5! //



There is nothing wrong with a 9-5...

I repeat….

There is nothing wrong with a 9-5… as long as YOU like it!




Most of us have worked for someone. My job history includes everything from working in corporate America to working at the Baltimore Zoo. All of my jobs and all of my experiences have prepared me for my current role as a freelance professional. If your goal is to eventually work for yourself, working for a company first is an invaluable tool.  If the company is awesome, you're working and learning from the best on a daily basis. If the company is the worst, you're learning what not to do. It's a win-win.

Right out of college, I worked in marketing at the Princeton Review. At that job, I learned all about office politics, how to create marketing campaigns and how to effectively develop and produce marketing events. I also learned about office hierarchy, writing professional emails
and how it all goes down in corporate America. I went on to teach in elementary school (3rd grade and Kindergarten) where I developed patience and understanding and eventually ended up in Retail Management (with the most amazing MAC team!) where I sharpened my selling skills and learned to manage a business and lead & motivate a team.




In my freelance life, I use these tools every single day. Writing emails to clients, being patient as I wait on responses (and sometimes checks), selling my services whenever I'm not working. The things I learned working for others have helped me to better work for myself.



But 9-5's don't just offer Business 101, they also provide the most important resource for getting your business off the ground…. MONEY! I call this cash 'The Dream Fund' because lets face it…we dream BIG and we've gotta fund those dreams. Can't really build your t-shirt business if the lights are off and the internet isn't working right!?



Are you more into this type of office? Hey Kavita :) 

Now, this is not me telling everyone to run out and get a job. This is me speaking to the dreamers who are still working 9-5 until they can take the plunge and jump into their own business full-time. Make a plan, give yourself a deadline and plan to take your plunge. BUT be careful not to wait until everything is perfect because if you do, you'll be working there forever.



Or does this office tickle your fancy? 

And to my peeps who are dreaming about movin on up right where they are…keep on keeping on! Keep growing where you're planted but be sure to set goals for yourself too. That promotion won't be sashaying over to your cube looking for you…go get it!

Are you looking to take the plunge and jump full-time into your passion or are you loving right where you are? Chime in below!!

*Image courtesy of Shutterstock*

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Coffee Shops And Laptops. Design by Fearne.