#ACupOfConversation // Senior Artist and Educator Sonia Rodriguez





"…you've gotta zig when every one else zags."


The coffee shop is bustling with conversation and keyboard strokes when I arrive. When Sonia arrives, we grab drinks and head to our table, immediately jumping right in to conversation as if we've known each other for years. You would never guess that we had only met the day before at the very same coffee shop. I ran into Sonia the same day I developed the concept for  Coffee Shops and Laptops. I told her about my vision and invited her back to chat. We emailed that evening and decided to link up the next day. Now, sitting in Irving Farms Coffee Roasters, we discuss life, work and everything between.



Hometown: Freeport, New Jersey
Current location: New York City
What she really does: I'm an Inspirer 
Years in the Game: 15 


Sonia went to school to study classical music but realized early on that it wasn't her calling. She left and started working at a salon as a receptionist. There she was encouraged by friends and colleagues to get into makeup artistry. She had an opportunity to take a 3-Day class and it changed her outlook on the industry. All of a sudden, she could see a career in makeup. 15 years later, she's the key makeup artist at The Nightly Show, she's developing young artists through her Beauty Mastermind program and she still has more to do. Keep reading to check out how she makes it all  happen. 



Sonia doing a makeup demo


How do you start your day?
I have a routine and I'm very proud of it. My routine is the same whether I'm working or not. I journal a lot and I'm really big with physical fitness. All of these things keep me firing on all cylinders. It's important that I take my time. 

How do you keep yourself inspired?
Maybe thats why we come to coffee shops. They're like our 3rd space. Whenever I really need to work, I'm in a coffee shop. I also stay inspired by listening to audio books, going on walks and going to museums. 


Sonia is the Key Makeup Artist on The Nightly Show

What challenges do you face?
I'm really hard on myself. I'm an over achiever and its really hard for me to celebrate both 'home runs' and 'singles'. I've also had to work on not taking things personally. Really understanding that sometimes things don't work out and that they're not supposed to. 


Sonia, Sam Fine and Beauty Mastermind students

How did you become Sam Fine's assistant? 
I'm an extrovert. An asset for me is that I'm memorable. My goal is to always ask unexpected questions.  I met Sam at one of his classes. After class, I went up and introduced myself. I followed up and stayed in touch and when an opportunity presented itself, I was considered.  You've got to follow up and then follow through. You've gotta figure out how to zig when everyone else zags.

What would you be doing if you weren't doing makeup?
Nothing else. 

What's next?
More with The Nightly Show, bi-coastal bootcamps, empowering people, an agency.

Finish these statements:
I can't live without… piece of mind.
Success takes…conviction, motivation, commitment, taking action beyond fear, passion and being a little insane. 

Last words
When you start to feel fear or pain thats a sign that your going the right way. Thats the confirmation that you're making the right choices. 

Follow Sonia on Instagram here! Get more details on her Beauty Mastermind events here


2 comments

Latest Instagrams

© Coffee Shops And Laptops. Design by Fearne.