#ACupOfConversation // Photographer & Artist Kia Dyson


"…I feel like we don't have a choice. Follow your dreams or regret it for the rest of your life. "


Kia is a force. Part photographer, part artist, ALL creative! It's not difficult to find inspiration in her images. But, what is most inspiring is Kia's ability to be totally selfish with her work. Instead of 'giving the people what they want' she chooses to create what's important to her. "I'm human. I do things that are selfish. My drawings. My work. Somethings are just for me." 

Sharing what's important to her has certainly worked in her favor. With features on Beyonce.com, Vogue Italia and shows in Chicago and Miami it's clear that people are not only responding to her work but are {not so patiently} waiting for more! Read on to check out how she starts her day and what's next for this artist on the rise. 

Name: Kia Dyson
Hometown: Baltimore, MD 
Current Location: Brooklyn, NY
What she really does: An enhancer of images 
Years in the Game: 4

How do you start your day?
I walk around my house getting my juices flowing. I dream about html & code. I try to think back and rehash my dreams. I'm always thinking…'what can I create today?'

How do you stay inspired?
I have to leave the house. The walk to the coffee shop inspires me. We create subconsciously. Sometimes I'll create something and realize that I was unknowingly inspired by something I saw years ago.



Demestiks NY cookbook shot by Kia Dyson

What are you reading right now?
"Between the World and Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates  

What's next?
Venturing into something that scares the shit out of me. Public speaking. I've been contacted by universities to come and speak about black art. I'm also moving towards using my art for clothes. 

Finish this sentence. I can't live without…
my laptop…and adobe.  




Kia's artwork 

What's the biggest misconception about freelancing?

That working for yourself if easier. You have to put yourself on a schedule. Money. You have to become everything that a company usually provides: HR, finance, your boss! Whenever you make money, you've gotta put it back into the business. 

What advice would you have given yourself 10 years ago?
Move to New York immediately!

What's the title of your life story?
'I can't believe that this shit happened" 

Why should people follow their dreams?
I feel like we don't have a choice. Follow your dreams or regret it for the rest of your life. 

Last words
Do it. Try it. Don't think about it. Just do it. 

Keep up with Kia! 
Instagram
Facebook
Web
Purchase Art 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Coffee Shops And Laptops. Design by Fearne.