#ACupOfConversation // Fashion Designer Reuben Reuel


"… Trust God. Keep learning. Don't let people tell you what you can't do." 



Reuben Reuel is a quiet storm on the fashion front. His clothes make a major splash but the man behind the brand could not be more humble and laid back. His talent is undeniable and his clothes allow women everywhere to make a statement without saying word. Beyonce, Vogue and the world are all watching as Reuben adds color to our wardrobes one closet at a time. Keep reading to check out how he started Demestiks NY and what he think's every up and coming designer should stop doing. 

Name: Reuben Reuel Riddick
Hometown:Virginia Beach, VA
Current Location: Brooklyn, NY
Industry: Fashion Design and Apparel Manufacturing
Years in the Game: 3
What You Really Do: I'm a creator of women's wear 



Demestiks NY featured on Vogue's Instagram


What were you doing before Demestiks?
I worked for an online company that made bedding. 

How'd you get here? 
I got fired and lost my apartment at the same time. I got another job and quit after two weeks. I was tired of working for other people. I used my unemployment check to buy fabric and made samples. Put them up on Etsy and it just exploded. 

How do you start your day? 
I wakeup….it's a slow process. Wakeup, drink coffee, have eggs & avocado, maybe smoked salmon. Check instagram and sort out the day. Everyday is different. My life is consistently inconsistent. 




What keeps you inspired?
Women and my desire to help them feel beautiful. Enhancing their beauty. I get emails from clients saying things like, "I feel like royalty when I wear your clothes." 

What have you done that makes you proud?
I'm proud that I've been able to create opportunities for others to be able to pay their rent...and my own on time. Financial security. 





What would you like people to know about you? 
I'm really  a humble person. I put God first in everything. 


Finish this sentence. I cant live without
God. 




What's the biggest misconception about the fashion industry?
People feel like they have to sell at a high-end boutique or that they need validation from popular publications. What you should be focusing on is an actual customer. I focused on a woman I know. 

What should every up and coming designer stop doing? 
People should stop giving themselves titles without credentials. Earn it. 

What's your favorite quote? 
"Live to create. Create to live."




What advice would you have given Reuben 10 years ago?
The advice my dad gave me. You don't have to go through certain things to learn from mistakes. 


Last words
Trust God. Want to be great? Study the greats. Keep learning. Don't let people tell you what you can't do. 

Stay In Touch With Reuben
{Instagram} @Reuben_Reuel 
{Web} www.demestiksnewyork.com


*Photos courtesy of FashionBombDaily.com, Kamdora.com, Stylingon.com, Vogue Magazine Instagram*

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Coffee Shops And Laptops. Design by Fearne.